How many times have you felt like you’ve gone mad because one day your narcissistic partner loves you and the next day he is mean or simply not empathetic? (Or if you’re divorced to him, perhaps he acts very cooperative one day and then he is completely uncooperative and not logical the next).
Let’s say you are upset with him, and you say to yourself, “This time I am done. This is over.”
But because he is a savvy manipulator, he’s already onto you, and sense your retreat.
And because narcissists have a huge fear of abandonment as well as someone shattering his false image, he will do everything he can to make sure your anger at him was truly nothing.
He may first…
• Negate your feelings and call you overly emotional
• Position himself as a victim of YOUR bad behavior
• Position himself as a martyr in that he has sacrificed so much for you and the family (so how dare you need things from him)
So you then…
• Say sorry
• Think he’s right
• Feel horribly guilty for having such feelings of wanting to leave
• Rewards you for seeing “the light” or seeing “his side”
• He is nice for a while, kind, maybe even really loving
So you then..
• Silently think you were crazy for thinking anything was wrong because he is now proving to you how nice of a guy he is
• Pretend that anything he has ever done wrong didn’t exist
• Give, give, and give some more, hoping he will love you the way you had always hoped.
• Feel him slipping away as he gives you only shreds of hope, just enough to keep you around.
• Become depressed, unwanted, validated that you are unlovable.
• Ask him for attention, question his busy life or work schedule, want him to pay attention to YOU for five minutes, all for the hope that he isn’t the person who you think he is.
So he then:
• Negates your feelings and call you overly emotional
• Positions himself as a victim of YOUR bad behavior
• Positions himself as a martyr in that he has sacrificed so much for you and the family (so how dare you need things from him)
And so the cycle repeats itself again, and again – which is what I call the Cycle of Narcissistic Despair, which is what I cover my Break Free course.
This cycle is perhaps the most destructive to someone who is involved with a narcissist. If it goes on for years, it can significantly impact your self-esteem and you can be stuck in the relationship forever.
But know this – you are NOT crazy – all you want is unconditional love, but unfortunately, you are never going to get it from a narcissist. They are incapable of unconditional love.
You CAN break free – I’ve done it, my clients have done it – now it’s your turn.